We are now entering the time of year when fleas can become a big problem. They have had lots of warm summer days to multiply and are now ready to infest your pet.
Fleas are species specific, but dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and ferrets can all be affected by .
Cat fleas will only bite humans when there are no animals in the home to bite, or when the animals in the home are over-crowded with fleas.
Fleas are dark coloured, 1.5 – 3.3 mm long and flightless. How
ever, they are fast running and far jumping insects.
Female fleas can lay 40-50 eggs per day, but most drink a blood meal before they can reproduce. The eggs fall off the pet and into the home where they hatch into larvae.
Adult fleas, which live on your pet, make up only 5% of the total flea population. The other 95% are eggs, larvae and pupae and they are in your home.
It is important to treat your pet and your home to break the flea life cycle.
Many over the counter spot-on dog flea products can be fatal to cats.
Common Question: My vet said that all 3 of my pets have fleas, but only 1 is itchy. How can that be?
While most animals find flea bites irritating, some animals are allergic to their bites and find them extremely itchy. An animal that is allergic to flea bites will often scratch and chew at itself so vigorously that it starts to lose fur and gets sores on its skin, often requiring antibiotics to treat. The most common areas affected are behind the ears, on the back just in front of the tail, and on the inner thighs.
There are several safe and highly effective prescription flea preventatives and treatments available. Please contact one of our Vet Visionaires Clinics for more information.